Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Posts about wine

Most of the writing that is done about wine these days is highly convoluted stuff, in which the writers use a collection of upwards of 300 different tastes, flavors, colors and aromas to describe the qualities and characteristics of the wine.  The wine is then typically given a precise score out of a possible 100 points, the idea being that that gives you the closest possible thing to an apples to apples comparison.  As a result, I never thought of writing about my thoughts regarding wine because I don't have the background knowledge to speak in that language.  I also happen to disagree with the methodology in principle--I have tasted many wines that have scored in the low 90s that I've found much more enjoyable and interesting than wines scoring in the upper 90s.  While its true that a rating system like that keeps you away from truly bad wine, so would a review that says "tastes like balsamic vinegar," or "what do you expect from a $4 Cabernet?"  Regardless, I never gave writing about wine a second thought.

I recently read a book that changed my mind.  Its called "A Hedonist in the Cellar" by Jay McInerney.  It is basically a collection of essays that he has written about wine for some or other magazine over the years, I think it might be "Home and Garden"?  Anyway, in the preface he says pretty much exactly what I've said--he didn't have the traditional knowledge of wine to be a wine writer, but he liked wine and could write, and had enough experience drinking wine to be able to pick out bottles that people would enjoy most of the time.  I'm not saying that I can write well, but besides that we're on the same page.

Besides blogging about the minutiae of my day to day life and going on various rants and raves, I'm going to start occasionally discussing wines that I've had that I think are worth spending the time and money to seek out.  While I'm never going to get a job tasting wines for Wine Spectator, I hope you'll find bottles that I recommend to be at least drinkable and enjoyable, and hopefully memorable.  

And as always, feedback and suggestions are welcome.  Had a great bottle lately?  Tell me about it, I'd like to have readers' selections, too.


1 comment:

4 Sassy said...

I've not had a great bottle lately but I did run across this great quote in this book I'm reading (Lilith by George MacDonald): "Every flower of Hybla and Hymettus must have sent its ghost to swell the soul of that wine." I don't know what Hybla or Hymettus is, but I thought that was a pretty lovely way of describing wine.