Monday, June 9, 2008

Chicago sports

I know that I said just yesterday that this blog was going to be about fatherhood, but some breaking developments in the Chicago sports world in which I live demand attention.  Here's the deal: I love the Cubs.  I love the Bulls.  I hate the Bears.  Actually just Bears fans--I don't know of worse sports fans on Earth.  The Bears themselves are too pitiful to hate.  I don't care about the White Sox, or the entire American League for that matter.  And Chicago may still have a hockey team, although I don't think anyone cares, and I know I don't.  

Anyway, the Bears' marque running back, Cedric Benson, was arrested again.  He will probably be cut by the team, leaving the Bears' backfield as good as empty.  Or they may keep him, and we'll be a continued disappointment and locker room cancer.  Either way, this news just makes me smile.  This promises to be a stellar year for Bears hating--Fall 2008 is going to be awesome.  

So the Bears are hosed, hurrah hurrah.  Unfortunately, the Bulls are trying their best to self-destruct, too.  Being that I don't have a job, I am annoyed that I didn't bother to apply for the Bulls' head coach position.  I would have been hired for sure.  Instead, they hired Vinny del Negro.  Yeah, I know, who the fuck is Vinny del Negro?  Sounds like he may be related to Speedy Gonzalez.  I sure hope so.  Hmm, well according to Wikipedia (hey, do I get 2 cents if someone actually clicks that?  No???  I don't understand!) he bounced around various NBA teams, some Italian teams, then was assistant general manager of the Phoenix Suns.  So basically the guy is Dwight Schrute (2 cents? Fuck!) but interested in basketball rather than beets.  Awesome.  Good thing the Bulls have first pick in the upcoming NBA draft.  I will be sure to enter that, just in case my friendly neighborhood team comes knocking.  

1 comment:

Beth Layton said...

more about being a daddy and sweet little Allie!!